Saturday, November 13, 2021

Introduction

Like a lot of people, I ate cereal as a kid. Then I had an experience with spoilt milk that completely traumatized me. Fast forward to adulthood, and I began to realize that I missed eating cereal. Having more control over the milk in my house*, I figured it would be safe to try eating cereal again. And I've completely fallen in love with it.

*Milk etiquette:
1. Always buy milk with the furthest sell by date.
2. Buy less milk more frequently, so it's constantly being refreshed.
3. The container shall never leave the fridge for more than sixty seconds.

Now, I'm not a breakfast person (or a morning person in general, for that matter). Although I do like breakfast foods - bacon, eggs, pancakes, etc. - I don't usually like to consume them in the morning, as I do not have a very big appetite early in the day. (And despite what nutritionists tell you about breakfast being the most important meal of the day, I'm pretty healthy, and can go to surprising lengths of time and physical exertion before breaking my fast when pressed).

So, not only do I enjoy eating cereal, but it's a simple and reliable snack (with minimal effort cooking or cleaning) to tide me over until lunch time. It's my go-to breakfast every morning of every day; only rarely do I substitute a bigger breakfast (usually when I'm travelling with companions who have bigger appetites in the morning), and when I do, I always find myself missing my daily bowl. Sometimes I'll even go to bed at night looking forward to the cereal I'll be having in the morning.

Despite being able to go through a Family Size box of cereal in about a week all by myself, I still manage to buy them faster than I can eat them, and my weakness for trying out limited edition novelty flavors has resulted in stacks of unopened boxes collecting on the top of my fridge (drawing snide remarks from family).


Nevertheless, this has inspired me (along with distant memories of cereals I enjoyed as a kid that you can't get anymore) to start documenting some of the more unique flavors I've come across. My favorite cereals cover some of the basics - staples such as Lucky Charms, Froot Loops, Honey Nut Cheerios, and Cocoa Puffs, among others. But I want to put special emphasis on the flavors you may not know about, the new and limited edition varieties that weren't on the shelves yesterday, and may not be there tomorrow.

Welcome to my Cereal Experiments. Close the box; open the next.

No comments:

Post a Comment