Sunday, April 2, 2023

Fantasy Cereals

Last year, I was thinking about Shaq's promotion for Frosted Flakes, which - according to the box details - arose out of Shaq's love of Frosted Flakes, and resulted in a new variety of the cereal, adding crispy cinnamon basketballs. Obviously, I'm not a celebrity, so this is all hypothetical. But I got to thinking - if I were given the opportunity to create my own cereal, what would I come up with?

And I thought about it for a while. If we're going strictly for flavor, obviously I'd pick chocolate with marshmallows, but there are already a lot of options for that on the market. And honestly, in that respect, my dream cereal would probably be a whole lot like Wendy's Frosty cereal (and, well, that already exists). So I thought about what kind of cereals I eat the most, and how I could give them a bit of a novel touch, and it didn't take me long to come up with a new version of Lucky Charms.

Lucky Charms has a magical, fantasy aesthetic. I'm rather fond of faeries, and I think that's something that would be a perfect match for the brand. So let me introduce you to "Pixie Charms" (I chose "pixie" over "fairy" to preserve some consistency in the sound of the name). The box motif would be pink (as opposed to red), and it would introduce Lucky's sister Pixie, embodied in a new pixie-shaped marshmallow. Other marshmallows retained for this version would include the unicorn and the rainbow. Also, "pixie dust" in the cereal would turn the milk pink. I wanted to create a mock-up of this cereal using Fruity Lucky Charms (which has pink cereal pieces), but I haven't been able to find any lately.

Here's a rudimentary proof of concept.

I thought of another idea, which would be a slight variation of JoJo Siwa's Strawberry Bop! I would keep the pink puff pieces but add in blue ones (blueberry-flavored, perhaps?) in equal quantities. Then I would limit the marshmallows to just plain, white ones. Altogether, they would represent the colors of the transgender flag. I'd call it Transgender Puffs ("they're fruity!"), and I would imitate the way Wheaties showcases athletes on the box, by shining a spotlight on different inspirational transgender personalities. (I had just watched Euphoria when I came up with this idea, so my plan was to shine the first spotlight on model, actress, and trans rights activist Hunter Schafer). Oh, and also, the milk would turn an androgynous purple.

Transgender Puffs

For this mock-up, I mixed the pink puffs from JoJo Siwa's Strawberry Bop! with blue Crunch Berries (if I were making it now, I would consider using the blueberry puffs from Pandora Flakes), and combined them with marshmallows extracted from Hot Cocoa Puffs. It was actually quite good. To generate the effect of turning the milk purple, I cheated by first putting in a layer of Magic Fruity Pebbles on the bottom.

I discussed this thought experiment with my partner, and asked her what cereal she would come up with. As a fan of the fruitier cereals, she settled on a variation of Trix with the puffs colorized to represent the planets of our solar system. We went back and forth on whether the puffs should be different sizes, and whether each box should contain only a single sun. She calls it GalacTrix. I humbly offered my own suggestion of adding crescent moon-shaped marshmallows, and making it a tie-in with Sailor Moon - with Usagi (a.k.a. "Bunny") standing in for the Trix Rabbit!

GalacTrix

This mock-up was less of a success than the last one - there was just too much going on. I used the swirled puffs from Trix Trolls World Tour, and added in some Crunch Berries and Pokemon puffs for more color variety. For the crescent moon marshmallows, I borrowed some blue moons from Lucky Charms. I used crispy cinnamon basketballs for the suns, although if I'd had some Reese's Puffs Big Puffs on hand, I think that would have been a fun choice. But at this point, it was already a weird mishmash of flavors.

This exercise has really got my imagination running. If you were tasked with making up your own cereal - whether an original concoction or a novel variation on a classic - what would you come up with? I already have a number of other ideas, but I'll leave you in suspense for now, so I can present them to you on this blog at a later time, as cereal experiments.

No comments:

Post a Comment