Sunday, April 30, 2023

Cocoa Krispies


Name: Cocoa Krispies
Variation: Rice Krispies
Manufacturer: Kellogg's

Review: I'd like it noted for the record that, having already bought Cocoa Krispies once, I tried to resist buying another box just because they added "more chocolatey flavor". But in the end, I couldn't pass up the opportunity to try it. After all, I've never encountered an instance where "more chocolatey flavor" was anything but a good thing - and this is no exception.

The main problem with Rice Krispies is that it has no flavor. And chocolate is one of my favorite flavors, so adding cocoa to the Krispies is a pretty good idea. However, as neat as the popping effect is, these Krispies are mostly puffed air. They've got a satisfying crunch, but there's an undercurrent of "crisped rice" taste that I'm not terribly fond of. In comparison, Cocoa Pebbles has a deeper, richer cocoa flavor. Krispies also seem to suck up the milk more. There's not much point in turning the milk chocolate if there's no milk at the end to drink.

I've backed myself into a bit of a corner in rating this cereal. By Rice Krispies standards, this cereal deserves a two bowl rating, since it's better than any other flavor I've had (including Cinnamon Sugar Krispies, which I gave two bowls). But by normal standards, it should really get a one bowl rating, if for no other reason than I wouldn't buy it over Cocoa Pebbles (or any other of the many chocolate cereals on the market). So I'll just throw that out as a caveat, and leave it at that.

Rating: 🥣🥣
Leftover Milk: Milk? All there is is a crunchy, cocoa sludge.

No comments:

Post a Comment